06/09/2010

I'm deeply considering doing an OCA course in writing. What I've seen on the website is encouraging. I suppose I just want what I write to be better. I generally feel like I'm feeling my way around a dark room at the moment, but that I'm sometimes blinded by brilliant white light, which, though it should give me hope, just serves to confuse me further, leaves me blinking with only the hazy outline of my brief glimpse to comfort me.
I've been really encouraged by the last few days that I've spent writing longhand, I've written around seven thousand words and it seems to make better sense than doing it on the computer. But now my arm aches!
I guess I want to wait until I've exhausted that subject, that what might turn into a novel, might actually turn into a novel if I don't let myself become distracted from it, and only then. Maybe I should wait a little, do what I'm doing now and try the course when it's finished. Because I know what courses do, they change you, and the me that writes afterwards won't be the me that writes now. In some ways I feel that the me that writes now is a little bit precious, terribly innocent and probably susceptible to all kinds of cliches and boring notions, but yesterday I found myself writing about sanitary towels and I had no idea that I was going to do that. It actually got quite traumatic. But it was funny at the same time. I've never read about that experience anywhere else so that's why I feel that I'm on to an interesting thing. And I don't want to stop myself while I'm enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment