23/11/2010

Warning to disaffected types: this is a post about how much I love my job, and we all know how infrequently that line appears - the blogosphere may just implode with surprise.

Well, I do love my job, and I don't see why I should pretend otherwise. It helps that I'm a freelancer and that the job I do contains a fair wodge of creativity. Actually, I would say that removing the boss from one's life is pretty much the key to happiness, but some people will never be happy, and since happiness and contentment are mostly my default setting, maybe I'm not a reliable judge. Yeah, sorry. I know happy people are annoying... but I'm still doing it.

Anyway, I'm here in Tenerife, enjoying what really amounts to a day off, although it started stupidly early and that was down to someone else's design, it is still a day off and it is still warm and sunny - not very pretty, but then that's Spanish architecture for you; I reckon they don't do pretty. Even Gaudi isn't pretty; more sublime, imho. I think it's something to do with the landscape, it's pretty arid over most of Spain, an extreme landscape, so 'pretty' wouldn't survive long.

I digress... the main news I have to share, is that I've just met a guy, the guy who owns this gig, and he says that he spent three years doing the drawings for Spitting Image, so I shall expect fine stories tonight.

That puts what I do in the shade, and to be fair, most things do. I spend most of my time making what other people put on slides a whole lot better, I don't get to design the stuff to start with. At least, not very often. Corporations don't want to make art, they just want to put the message across effectively, and most of the time they don't even allow the time to do that properly. And, when they do want to make art, they head straight for the designers that shout loudest, and I don't shout loud. Ah, well, it doesn't matter, I am, after all, happy with what I do, and that is enough. But, I have to let the creativity out somewhere, and that's what the writing is about...

And now I've found the free broadband in this hotel, I can get on with using the rest of my day for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment