23/12/2010

Google Chrome - always assume, never ask

When faced with pretty but bewildering spaghetti-like doodles instead of plain English... Oh my word, this website is a useful brain-ease and general detangler: http://www.stars21.com/translator/thai_to_english.html

I've just had an unlovely time logging onto my blog from Thailand (which otherwise is completely lovely, obviously) because Google Chrome, in that annoying teeth-grinding way it has of assuming it can think for you, has suddenly assumed that because I happen to have popped up in Thailand, that I must, of course, be Thai and therefore be fully equipped with the language, even though up to now I have always used the damn thing in English.

It's the assumption that gets me. I was always told, mostly after the several cock-ups made in the first job I really loved and still do now, and from which I must have recovered because I learnt this: NEVER assume, always ASK.

Not only does that help prevent so many errors, it is POLITE!

This irritating state of affairs, combined with the fact that whenever I log in from a new place Google Chrome refuses to believe my password, has meant that I've had to go through the rigmarole of getting the password reset WITH THAI INSTRUCTIONS. For which the above website has been vital.

In my perusal (read wretched hair-tearing, profanity inventing, wall beating) I discovered, as always seems to happen in such situations that others have been more unfortunate and have also discovered their blogger dashboards also to be in the foreign language of Google Chrome choice. So glad that wasn't me.

Apparently you have to make sure that your language of choice is the one set as your language of choice (there is a menu in your dashboard), which fortunately mine already was. I'd have given up by now if it wasn't.

So if you travel and want to blog, as I do. Set it. Set it now. And then you can blog about the pleasantness of the place you have travelled to in all it's wondrous, bewildering and sometimes amusing complexity, instead of having to whinge like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment